Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Montana's First Rides

I know what you're thinking, this is an awful picture. I put it on here just because this is how I like to start my horses out - bareback. It just gives them an extra step so that they don't have to deal with a saddle and a rider at the same time on their first ride. I ride them bareback a couple of times and work on having the horse accept the saddle. Then when they get used to the saddle, it's not nearly as much of a problem for me to step up on it because they're already used to the weight and the saddle separately.



I like to teach them to line drive just so they get the feel of the bit - it makes things easier and safer when you get in the saddle! It's also nice if you decide to teach them to drive.










Here we are with the saddle and all. Amazingly enough, she has yet to buck or show any sign of alarm. She took everything like she'd been ridden for years! We did have a few little issues with giving to the bit, but nothing serious.









Notice the lead stuck through my belt - that's a must! If you get thrown you're still connected to the horse and they don't feel as it they've gotten away with anything - you're still in control!








As you can see below, we're riding outside the roundpen - that was quite an experience for me after Cowboy!

No comments: